Cheers to 70 Years!
ISB first opened as the International Children’s Center on the grounds of the U.S. Embassy in 1951. It was the first international school to open in Thailand and serviced U.S. Embassy families and other expatriates in Bangkok at the time. The school soon needed to expand in order to provide both primary and secondary education for the growing population of expatriate children in Bangkok. In 1960, ISB moved from the U.S. Embassy grounds to a large campus on Sukhumvit Soi 15. Seven years later, at the peak of the Vietnam War, when enrollment boomed to over 3500 students, a second campus was opened in Bangsue for a number of years to accommodate the expansion.
In the 1980’s, the ISB Board of Trustees had a vision for a school that would be unrivaled in the region. In January 1992, ISB moved to its present location in Nichada Thani, a US$25-million campus with some of the best facilities in the region. 2018 marked the opening of our Environmental Wilderness Campus in Petchaburi Province. To this day ISB remains a nonprofit, independent, and nonsectarian school which is overseen by our parents who are members of our school association and elected to our Board of Trustees.
The work of maintaining and continually improving Thailand's premier international school doesn't stop! Even Covid-19 couldn't halt progress, and during restricted school times, ISB was hard at work planning and building new playgrounds, a state of the art Elementary School cafeteria, a new ES gym, solar panels and a garden on the roof... and so many trees and plant life, to further enhance our environment and sustainable business practices. In 2022, we achieved AmCham ACE status, confirming our commitment to CSR and sustainability.
Click below and watch our Alumni Coordinator, Retired Math teacher and Coach, Harold Albert, talk through some of the most memorable moments in ISB's long and illustrious history.