No medications will be given to students without consent from parents except in a life threatening situation.
The following forms must be completed which give consent for the School Nurse to administer medications:
- Pain relief and over the counter medications supplied by school. These medications include paracetamol/acetaminophen (such as Tylenol), ibuprofen (such as Advil, Motrin or Nurofen), antihistamines (such as Zyrtec), decongestants and antacids. The form needs to be filled in by Parent only (Nurse Medication Consent form). This form is included in the New and Returning Student Medical forms.
- Short term medication supplied by parent. This is for students who are on short term medications such as antibiotics or eye drops which need to be administered during school hours for a short period of time. The form needs to be filled in by Parent only Parental Consent for Administration of Short Term Medications).
- Routine prescribed medications (for example for ADHD). This is for students whose regular prescribed medications must be given during school hours. The form must be filled in by Medical Practitioner and Parents (Prescription Medication Consent Form).
- Medications required to be given during field trips. This includes any prescription or nonprescription medications and any medications to be given “as required”. The form needs to be filled in by Parent only (Field Trip Medication Consent Form).
- Treatment for severe allergy (anaphylaxis) (to be filled in by Medical Practitioner and Parents) (Anaphylaxis Treatment Plan). Students with Anaphylaxis must have an EpiPen available for use at all times whilst on campus and 2 EpiPens available whilst on trips off Campus (such as sport or field trips).
- Diabetes management plan (to be filled in by Medical Practitioner and Parents) (Diabetes Management Plan).
- Asthma Care Plan (to be filled out by Medical Practitioner and Parents) (Asthma Care Plan)
All medications which are not included in the Nurse Medication Form must be supplied by Parents in original packaging which is clearly labelled with the Student’s name and is not expired. The Health Clinic will disposed of any expired medication and short term medication which is not collected by the Parents 2 weeks after the medication was ceased.