Here at International School Bangkok (ISB), we want to encourage our children and young people to be proud of their language heritage and help them to maintain and further develop this significant resource.
We believe that…
- Language is at the heart of human communication, thinking, and feeling
- Language is a marker of identity and culture, helping us to make sense of ourselves, our perspectives and our world
- It is our right to maintain our own language and be empowered to acquire other languages whenever possible (academic language of the school and additional languages)
- Multilingualism and multiculturalism are assets in our increasingly interconnected world, leading to higher levels of empathy and risk-taking
- Native language learning benefits an individual’s emotional well-being, enhances academic success, and promotes the acquisition of additional languages
Native Languages on Offer at ISB
ISB offers native/near-native language classes during the school day in Thai in all divisions (ES/MS/HS), and in French, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, and Spanish in the secondary divisions (MS/HS). In addition, ISB offers native/near-native classes after school in Danish, Dutch, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Spanish, and Urdu, with additional languages being explored. The after-school classes are held once or twice a week for an hour. They help our children to feel both culturally and linguistically at home. Morning literacy enrichment workshops are offered in the Elementary School to complement several language classes.
It goes beyond vocabulary, grammar and textbooks…
- Students connect learning across and between languages
- Students explore the concept of culture, their own and in comparison/contrast to others
- Students dialogue with others through effective listening, questioning, and responding
- Students use metacognitive skills to monitor and direct the process and product in pursuit of a goal
- Students engage with high cognitive, authentic, language-rich learning experiences
- The classroom environment brings engaging, challenging and culturally inclusive practice
- Students have opportunities to access their native language during their learning in other classes
- There is a strong home-school partnership
Parent Workshops and Resources
Every school year, ISB faculty give an informative and practical workshop for parents on how to help their children become functionally multilingual here at ISB. In addition, we are gradually building our reading material in languages other than English; expanding after school classes; and exploring other ways to support our school’s multilingual capacities.
To learn more, please visit the Native Language @ ISB blog.