Keeping families together
We believe that learning in a diverse environment has the potential to confer benefit for all learners, teachers, and our community. Our Learning Support teams comprise certified and experienced special educators, Speech-Language Pathologists, and School Psychologists. We also have an Occupational Therapist who provides services at ISB. At ISB, we provide support for a managed number of students with mild, moderate, and intensive learning needs.
Support for Mild to Moderate Learning Needs
Students with learning needs learn best when they are educated with typically developing peers to the maximum extent possible. We are able to meet the needs of most students in the regular classroom with differentiated instruction through accommodations and consultation. Some students may receive additional support in class through:
- Small group instruction,
- Point-of-performance support
Students with mild and moderate learning needs who require a higher level of support may attend a small group learning support class to work on the individualized learning goals on their Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
Life Centered Education
ISB has a Life Centered Education program that serves students with Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities (e.g. Down’s Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Cerebral Palsy, etc.) who require a highly individualized education that focuses on developing independence and life skills. Students are integrated into our regular ISB classrooms and activities to the greatest extent that it is appropriate. The class is taught by a highly trained special educator and assistants and supported by other related professionals such as Speech-Language Pathologists, School Psychologists, and Occupational Therapists. Our approach ensures that students receive highly individualized instruction to address their unique learning and developmental needs AND are full and valued members of our community. We offer:
- Highly qualified on-site multidisciplinary team: special education teacher, speech-language pathologist, occupational therapist, school psychologist and counselor
- Individualized Education: Student’s Individualized Education Plans will be carefully crafted around their individual needs to ensure the best mix of individualized instruction in academic, life and social skills, language and occupational therapy, and integration into learning opportunities with typically developing peers.
- Speech and Occupational Therapy by trained and experienced therapists
- Purpose-built classroom: Kitchen and recreational area, fully accessible bathroom and shower, sensory/occupational therapy space
- Outstanding Facilities: As members of our ISB community, our students will have access to our beautiful campus and extensive facilities
Download our brochure for more information
Innovative & Research-Based Support
ISB is proud to be the birthplace of the highly innovative and effective MARIO Framework.
Based on research, the MARIO Framework draws from discoveries in neuroscience, medicine, design thinking, ecological systems theory, and psychology to deliver a learning support solution that privileges student voice. Instead of traditional academic support classes, this advanced approach drives learning through one-to-one learning sessions and conferences that empower students to inquire to extend their learning and create solutions to new situations. Each student embarks on a personalized learning journey to achieve their academic and personal potential, expertly guided by our renowned special educators.
The MARIO Framework was established in 2015 and is rapidly being utilized around the world, currently reaching thirty international schools in over fifteen countries. The founder of the framework, Philip Bowman, remains a teacher at ISB and oversees its implementation throughout the High School.